Chiropractic Care for Headaches at Rickman Chiropractic
Nearly everyone experiences headaches now and then, but the reason behind the pain and the way it manifests is different for everyone. Whether you experience occasional mild pain or chronic headaches interrupt your routine almost daily, our chiropractor Independence, MO can help you find the relief you seek.
Types of Headaches
Headaches are classified into five primary groups:
- Tension headaches – These are the most common, often characterized by a constant ache or pressure at the temples or back of the head.
- Cluster headaches – These occur in cycles or groups and cause severe pain on one side of the head, sometimes accompanied by nasal congestion and watery eyes.
- Sinus headaches – If you have a sinus infection, the inflammation often causes a headache.
- Rebound headaches – The overuse of painkillers can cause rebound headaches as a withdrawal symptom.
- Migraine headaches – These are the most severe headaches, characterized by throbbing pain, often on one side of the head, and sometimes preceded by an aura, which may include visual distortions or numb hands.
What’s Causing My Headache?
Many different factors can trigger a headache, including:
- Emotional stress
- Certain foods or odors
- Menstrual cycles
- Changes in the weather
- Some medications (as a side effect or withdrawal symptom)
- Negative emotions, such as depression and anxiety
- Exposure to carbon monoxide, pesticide, or lead
Chiropractic Care Can Treat Headaches
Spinal adjustments have been shown to be effective for treating and preventing headaches, especially tension headaches that originate in the neck. Chiropractic care is also beneficial for migraine headaches, as long as the patient avoids food and lifestyle triggers. This treatment works by realigning the spine, which takes pressure off the nerves in your neck that could be contributing to repeat headaches.
Contact Our Chiropractor Independence, MO
While each patient is different, we recommend chiropractic care for most headache and migraine sufferers. A visit to our office begins with a thorough exam and medical history assessment to determine if chiropractic care is right for you. This drug-free, non-invasive treatment could provide you with the pain relief you need to enjoy life to the fullest!
To learn more about treating headaches with spinal adjustments, please contact our chiropractor Independence, MO by calling (816) 350-0020 or schedule a consultation online.